If you love Rice Krispie Treats and you love S'mores, you are going to love these Smore Rice Krispie Treats! These sweet treats are perfect for summertime and have all the goodness of Rice Krispie Treats mashed up with the best smores ingredients: graham crackers, milk chocolate, and toasty marshmallows!
S'mores Rice Krispies Treats
My kids love classic homemade rice krispie treats and they love s'mores, so this combination brings two of their favorite desserts together into one tasty dessert!
We especially love S mores Rice Krispie Treats in the summer because we don't have to have a campfire to have the flavors of s'mores in a no-bake dessert!
The ingredients for smore bars are so simple and can be found in almost any grocery store or dollar store! So let's get busy making some Rice Krispies S'mores!
Crispy Rice Cereal - this can be the brand name Kellogg's brand OR an off-brand. While I love some brand-name cereal, for this recipe, the store brand works great!
Butter - I always use salted butter, but unsalted would work just as well.
Mini Chocolate Chips - I do not recommend regular chocolate chips and I always grab the semi-sweet mini ones.
Milk Chocolate Bars - Hershey's is my go-to for these and I love that they're already scored so I can break off the perfect size pieces to top the squares.
How to make Smore Rice Krispie Treats
- Generously coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal and graham cracker crumbs
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and regular size marshmallows. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in my classic Rice Krispie Treats recipe here for melting them in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Pour over the cereal mixture and stir with a large spoon to combine completely.
- Add mini chocolate chips and stir gently to combine.
- Spread into an even layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Let cool completely.
- Heat oven to broil.
- Add mini marshmallows on top.
- Heat under broiler 2-3 minutes watching closely, or until marshmallows are toasted
- Add pieces of chocolate bar between the marshmallows.
- Let the rice krispy smores cool and set up for at least 15 minutes. Then cut into squares and enjoy!
- For easier cleanup, you can line your baking pan with parchment paper. You will still want to spray the sides with non-stick cooking spray!
- Do not use old marshmallows. Old marshmallows get dried out and the exterior hardens. When this happens, they don't melt as easily!
- When measuring marshmallows, don't skimp! It's better to have too many (for gooey treats) vs not enough which will lead to dense, dry treats!
- Do not burn the marshmallow/butter mixture. Melt this mixture just until it's smooth, then remove it from the heat. If you're afraid, use the microwave!
Recipe Variations & Add-ins
Personally, I think the Best S'mores Rice Krispies Treats are this original version - you could certainly fancy them up or make some changes if you'd like. Here are some options:
- Rice Cereal - you could use chocolate rice krispies cereal if you want to amp up the chocolate flavor in your s'mores rice krispies!
- Marshmallows - stir some unmelted mini marshmallows when you add the mini chocolate chips to add more texture!
- Graham Cracker Crumbs - there are a few things you can substitute here. You can use crushed graham crackers, leaving some bigger chunks if you like. Or switch them out for chocolate graham crackers or chocolate graham cracker crumbs. You could also use Golden Grahams cereal for a slightly different taste and texture.
These s'mores cereal treats are perfect for summer parties, classroom treats, bake sales, and holiday get-togethers. They can be made early in the day and enjoyed anytime!
Because of the toasted marshmallows on top, these Smores Krispies Treats are best served the day they are made! However, if you have leftovers, here are some tips:
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze them, wrap them in plastic wrap, then a layer of foil for up to 3 months
- To soften or reheat them (to get back some gooeyness), microwave for 10-15 seconds
Gluten-Free Smores Rice Krispies Treats
The only ingredient in this recipe that contains gluten is the graham crackers. But you can substitute gluten-free graham crackers for a fully gluten-free dessert. Schar Honey Graham Crackers or Pamela's Graham Crackers are both great choices. Crush them up and they're perfect in this recipe!
More S'mores Desserts & Rice Krispies TreatsPrint