If you're looking for 4th of July Cupcake ideas, I'm sharing everything you'll need to make these Easy 4th of July Cupcakes! Use your favorite cake and frosting recipes and the topper supplies are easily at your local craft store, Walmart, or even a dollar store.
Originally published June 2017, updated July 2023.
Easy 4th of July Cupcake Ideas
I'm cutting it so close to sharing this Firecracker Cupcakes tutorial for the 4th of July. I had hoped to post it last week, but it was such a busy week, well, here I am!
For a couple of weeks... wanting to come up 4th of July cupcakes ideas - something anybody can make where no special skills or tools are required. And these firecracker cupcake toppers are exactly that. I dare even call it a tutorial - it's so stinkin' easy.
I did pipe on some pretty buttercream (I have a tutorial for that here), but even if you just spread on buttercream with a spoon and add some colorful sprinkles (I did below!), I still think the addition of the "firecrackers" would make them super cute and festive. And it'll look like you exerted way more effort than actually required 🙂
What You'll Need for 4th of July Cupcakes
When looking at fourth of July cupcake ideas, the cake and frosting don't matter as much as the toppers.
I'm sharing the recipes I used but you can easily swap out for your favorite cake and frosting. The firecracker cupcakes really come to life with the DIY cupcake toppers with toothpicks!
- Cupcakes (I baked chocolate ones)
- Buttercream - my favorite vanilla recipe here
- ½" glitter pompoms (I picked out the red, white & blue ones for a 4th of July dessert)
- Sprinkles (optional) - I used rainbow nonpariels but if you could find some red, white & blue sprinkles, even better!
- Red White & Blue Cupcake Liners (optional) - I bought this set and they're super cute!! (not pictured above)
How to Make Easy 4th of July Cupcakes
Okay - once you have everything together, these are so, so easy to make!
- If you purchased a mixed bag of pompoms (like I did), first sort out the red, white, and blue ones. You'll need 3 of each color for however many July 4th cupcakes you're making.
- For the toppers, you simply stick a pompom on a toothpick.
- And you're done. No gluing required. The toothpicks stick easily into the pompom easy-peasy.
- Make as many as you need (you can do them really fast), and voila - Easy DIY Firecracker Cupcake Toppers.
How to Assemble the Cupcakes and Toppers
- First, you start with a cupcake. So smart, right? Haha!
- Then you add buttercream. I piped these with an Ateco #869 (large French Star Tip) from this set.
- Next, you'll just add your 'firecrackers' by sticking the toothpicks into the frosting.
- Last, add some sprinkles (if you want - if you have them).
- As a final touch, I dropped mine into 4th of July cupcake liners but this is not necessary. They're SUPER cute without the extra liner!
These Fourth of July Cupcakes really are incredibly adorable and so festive, right? I hope you love them as much as I do!
I was dreaming up all kinds of variations of these. Can you imagine using other colors of pompoms for Christmas cupcakes or a little girl's birthday party? They're just FUN!!
Anyway - I hope you'll make easy Fourth of July patriotic cupcakes for the upcoming 4th of July celebrations!! Happy Independence Day peeps!
More 4th of July Desserts & IdeasPrint
Do you have more 4th of July cupcake decorating ideas? Leave me a comment!